Smokey eyes have been in style for a long time, and is likely to be a style that will stay around for some time.There is nothing more sexy or seductive than the smokey eye when done properly. Try the steps below to achieve the perfect smokey eye.
- Step 1 – Start by applying an eyeshadow base or primer. (Or apply foundation and powder to your eyelids.) This keeps your eyeshadow in place and prevents it from creasing.
- Step 2 – Apply eyeliner to your upper eyelid in a dark color. If you want to achieve the typical smokey eye use a black, dark brown or dark gray.
- Step 3 – Apply eyeliner to the bottom lashes.(important for the smokey eye look) Try a slightly lighter eyeliner color on the bottom (helps avoid the racoon eye look) You will need to smudge the color. You can apply a bit of eyeshadow to get the full 'smudgy effect'.
- Step 4 – Apply a very light shadow from your lids up to your browbone. (Try a shimmery or pearly shade for extra drama)
- Step 5 – Blend a darker color on your lid up to the crease (or just above the crease for more drama.) Use an eyeshadow brush and start at the lashline blending upward to the crease. Be sure to blend the eyeshadow into the lash line so that they eyeliner 'disappears'.
- Step 6 – Using an eyeshadow brush or a q-tip blend the colors well. The key to a great smokey eye is good blending, you want to be sure that your colors are blended well.
- Step 7 – Finish the look with 2-3 coats of a lash plumping mascara in black.
Remember, when going for the smokey eyed look to keep the lips simple. Focus on either the eyes or the lips, but never both.
This season jewel tones are the seasons hottest colors. Try using a vanilla base with a deep blue, a soft gold base with a deep purple, a peach base with a dark green. Or a gold base with a deep brown. Create a new look with the vibrant jewel tones this season.
Use a translucent powder below the eye and brush off after applying eye makeup. It will catch any fallen shadow.